FICA (Forum for International Conciliation and Arbitration) and the European Law Institute, will be undertaking a Virtual Roundtable on 18 June 2021 at 11:00 – 13:00 CET Vienna time (17:00 -19:00 GMT+8 Singapore Time)
The United Nations Convention on International Settlement Agreements resulting from Mediation (the ‘Singapore Convention’) entered into force on 12 September 2020. However, the Convention has not been signed by the EU or its Member States. What keeps the EU or its member states from signing the Singapore Convention on Mediation?
Experts will discuss pertinent aspects of the Singapore Convention on Mediation to create awareness of the Convention and will debate the EU’s position.
11.00 (CET) Welcome by Sir Michael Burton, President of FICA and Ms. Katarina Kresal, co-chair of ELI hub in Slovenia, president of the European Centre for Dispute Resolution 11.05 (CET) Roundtable “The reflection process of the European Commission”
- Is the accession to the Singapore Convention an exclusive jurisdiction of the EU or is it a shared competence of the EU and Member States?
- To what extent would the Singapore Convention benefit EU stakeholders?
- Developing mediation policies and practices in Europe.
- The views of States that signed the Singapore Convention.
12.00 (CET) Break 12.05 (CET) Roundtable “What is the impact of the Singapore Convention on the EU laws and policies?”
- Does the Singapore Convention interfere with the EU internal regulatory framework (as REIO)?
- The role of the Hague Convention on Choice of Court Agreements 2005 or the Hague Judgments Convention 2019.
- Dr Nadja Alexander, Professor at Singapore Management University
- Sir Michael Burton, President of FICA
- Mr Gordon Humphreys, Chairperson at the European Union Intellectual Property Office’s Boards of Appeal, mediator in the EUIPO’s ADR service
- Dr Catherine Kessedjian, former Deputy Secretary General of the Hague Conference on Private International Law & Professor emerita at University Panthéon-Assas Paris II
- Ms Katarina Kresal, co-chair of ELI hub in Slovenia, president of the European Centre for Dispute Resolution
- Ms Corinne Montineri, Senior Legal Officer, UN Office of Legal Affairs, UNCITRAL Secretariat
- Dr hc Thomas Pfeiffer, Professor at Heidelberg University & Chair of the European Law Institute Special Interest Group on Dispute Resolution
- Ms Natalie Morris-Sharma, former Chair of UNCITRAL Working group II which drafted the Singapore Convention & Deputy Senior State Counsel with Singapore’s Attorney-General Chambers
- Dr Norel Rosner, Legal and Policy Officer, Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers, European Commission
- Dr Rimantas Simaitis, Chairman of the CEPEJ-GT-MED
- Ms Diana Wallis, Senior Lecturer at the University of Hull, former vice-president of the European Parliament
- Mr Aleš Zalar, former Minister of Justice of Slovenia and current co-chair of ELI hub in Slovenia, will be moderating the roundtable.
- Dr Herman Verbist, Vice-chairman of FICA, co-moderator (Q&A) Participants will be able to raise questions. Participation is free of charge.
Participants will be able to raise questions. Participation is free of charge.
DATE: Friday 18 June 2021 | 11:00 – 13:00 CET Vienna time (17:00 -19:00 GMT+8 Singapore Time)
To access the webinar, please use this link: https://lnkd.in/dwdzuqp
Please contact Herman Verbist at email@example.com if you have any questions.